Happy Saturday BaddaBing BaddaBlog readers! This is Game Grind, the place where any and everything video game related is analyzed, discussed, and critiqued with gusto. Today’s post is going to be for a game that isn’t even out yet, but has already been declared one of the best games of 2016. I am speaking, of course, about Blizzard’s illustrious Overwatch.
This game’s beta, which ended two weeks ago and has since created a hole in most people’s being, was more successful than many of the titles that actually released that week. The beta and the game both received a crap load of free advertising due to the changing of a character’s supposedly “sexual” victory pose and searches for Overwatch on PornHub have risen by over 800 percent since the beta’s launch. People love Blizzard’s newest IP, and here’s why.
Overwatch contains gameplay that caters to all kinds of gamers. While everything is definitely molded around an FPS style, each of the playable characters are unique enough that playing with them makes the game feel more like one of FPS’s subgenres. If you like classic FPSs, you can get that by playing as Tracer or Solider 76. If you like FPSs that have MOBA elements, Torbjorn and Bastion (Android 16) have you covered. If you enjoy stealth and close quarters combat, Genji is your man. This game has been so popular because it really does feel like there is a little something for everyone in it.
This game is also brimming with originality, creativity, and great characters. There have been a lot of people saying that Overwatch is just Team Fortress, but with waifus; but that really does not do the game justice. Each of the characters have such a unique and compelling design and backstory that it pains me that none of that will be explored in this online only game. The Overwatch videos that Blizzard has been putting out helps to fill that void, but I really wish there was an aspect of the game that really got into the meat of each and every one of the characters. All of them are very fun and interesting and I wish we could get more of that in game.
Alrighty, that’s the bulk of it, but here are some stray observations.
- Bastion is not OP; Genji, Widowmaker, and Reinheart can totally wreck him.
- The fact that two of the characters, Bastion and Genji, are so similar to characters from two other franchise I love, DBZ’s Android 16 and MGS’s Cyborg Ninja, is very weird to me.
- If you only ever play with a single character, you are not playing Overwatch right.
- Every team needs a healer. If you get into a match and no one is a healer, play as a healer for a while.
- Capturing Objective > Kills
- The loot box system is a good way to reward players for leveling up, but I feel like there needs to be something more if Blizzard wants to keep players engaged for the long term.
- Overwatch is available for purchase on May 24th. Keep strong in the interim.
That just about does it for this week’s post of Game Grind. If you enjoyed it, please leave a like or a comment down below and be sure to stop by here on Monday for the next installment of Manga (And Also Anime) Monday. Have a great weekend!